An extensive research shows that recent consumers of buffalo meat showed a significant decrease in total cholesterol and triglycerides level, lower pulse wave velocity, as well as a more blunted response to oxidative stress in comparison with subjects who had never consumed buffalo meat.
- Buffalo meat very low in fat
- Lowest cholesterol level of all domestic meat
- Less saturated fat than beef or lamb
- Contains significant amounts of omega-3 polyunsaturated fats, which are believed to be protective against heart disease and other inflammatory disorders
- Higher levels of iron than all other meat types and significant levels of zinc.
All in all, buffalo meat is a preferred substitute for beef and lamb from the health conscious perspective.